March 14, 2018
Happy (?) Snow Day
K-6: Our last day of school for K-6 is now Monday, June 18, 2018.
PreK: Our last day of school for PreK is now Thursday, June 7, 2018.
Please remember for tomorrow, Thursday, March 15, 2018:
1. Children can dress as a book character for March is Reading Month!
2. Purchase gas at any pump at Derby Line Irving between 3-8pm and help our school earn money! Bring in your receipt to the office, labeled with name and contact info., and you will be entered into a drawing for a $50.00 gift card. Details are on the home page. Also, throughout the year, at any time, you can purchase gas at pump # 1 and earn money for our school.
3. Send in those Box Tops! The grade with the most BoX Tops will win a pizza party, compliments of PTA.
Family Movie Night sponsored by PTA: Information is on the PTA page. We hope to see you there.
March 9, 2018
Winter is back, and yet we are ready to Spring Forward!
Daylight Savings Time Begins at 2am on Sunday, March 11, 2018. Turn your clocks forward one hour before bed on Saturday night.
Winter Activity Days, Gr. 4 - 6: There are two in March. This Monday, March 12, and Monday, March 26, 2018.
Fuel Up for Our School March 15: Pump gas at Derby Line Irving Circle K between 3-8 pm. Win a gift card – find out how on the attached flyer.
Derby Ninja Warrior March 19: info is on the parents page.
We’re making memories! Order a Yearbook to keep them forever – an order form on home and documents pages.
Don’t forget to support and show your Tiger Paw Pride! Order forms for school t-shirt and sweatshirts are on the home and documents pages. Due date is March 16.
March is Reading Month!Reminders
Winter Activities Day!
Read a book that takes place in winter
Tiger Trivia Tuesday! (5 winners selected)
Read My Shirt Day!
Wear a shirt with writing on it
Book Character Day
Dress as your favorite book character!
Snuggle Up and Read! Wear PJs, bring a stuffed animal, and read
FREE Children’s Concert at the Haskell: information is on the parents page.
Have a great weekend!
March 5, 2018
I hope you and your your children have enjoyed the break from school!
Reminders for the Week:
1. Town Meeting is Today at DES at 7pm in the Gym. Come buy baked goods from our 6th graders!
2. Don’t forget to VOTE!
3. School Resumes March 7, 2018
4. Order Spirit Wear: We are collecting orders and money until March 16, 2018.
5. Celebrate March is Reading Month!
6. Some literature for parents about talking to children about violent school events in the news and school safety can be found on the parents page.
February 23, 2018
We have copies of the newly published 2017 Annual Town and School Report in our lobby. Please stop by and pick one up prior to Town Meeting!
Some information about Border Youth Baseball has been posted in the activities page.
Lunch Menus are on the Menu page.
Reminder: No School February 26 – March 6, 2018! See you March 7, 2018
New AED defibrillator installed @ Derby: Thanks to an anonymous donor to North Country Community Hospital, an AED defibrillator has been installed in our lobby near the office door. Several staff members have been trained in its use.
Encore After School Program: March and April brochure is posted under the afterschool program in Activities page! Registration is due February 23, 2018.
March is Reading Month! The calendar for the March is Reading month can be found on the homepage! Please help your child participate!
March is Box Top Month! The class that collects the most Box Tops wins a pizza party!
Happy Friday! Be sure to ask your children about my favorite knock knock joke.……
Bus Notes and Notes About Changing After School Plans: It can be challenging when notes come in to the office without last names, or the signatures are not legible. This is not normally not a problem, because Mrs. Mager knows just about everybody. However, you may have noticed that Mrs. Mager has been out all week, so we have had several people filling in and doing her job in the office. Please do your best to put as much information as possible in your notes, especially last names. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
School Safety: We take the safety of our children seriously. We want to reassure you by letting you know we have the following in place at our school:
- ID Badges and visitor sign in and out are required.
- There is Controlled Access to our school: Our outside doors are kept locked and visitors can only access by being buzzed in.
- We have security cameras on property and we monitor those cameras throughout the day.
- We have existing relationships with local law enforcement (Police, Fire Department, Border Patrol etc).
- A School Safety Plan is in place. We practice monthly emergency drills, including fire (egress) and lock downs (clear the halls and shelter in place).
School Safety Tips for Parents:
- Follow the school’s safety procedures at drop off, pick up, etc. Be patient and understanding if asked for identification when visiting school.
- Be aware that school safety is practiced regularly at school. However, specific violent incidences in the news are not generally discussed at school, unless a child brings it up.
- If children bring up concerns about safety, encourage children to talk about their concerns and to express their feelings..
- Be mindful of news reports, videos, etc. and the age of your child. Content is not always appropriate for younger children.
- Talk honestly about your own feelings regarding school violence.
- Validate the child’s feelings. Do not minimize a child’s concerns.
- Empower children to take action regarding school safety. Encourage them to report specific incidents (such as bullying, threats or talk of suicide) to trusted adults.
- Discuss the safety procedures that are in place at your child’s school.
- Create safety plans with your child. Identify which adults (a friendly secretary, trusted teacher or approachable administrator) your child can talk to if they feel threatened at school.
- Recognize behavior that may indicate your child is concerned about returning to school. Younger children may react to school violence by not wanting to attend school or participate in school-based activities.
- Keep the dialogue going and make school safety a common topic in family discussions
- Seek help when necessary. We have a school counselor that can help.
Coins for a Cause: This runs through Feb. 21, 2018: We are looking to support a Derby family in need, and have some fun and learn as we do it!
Gr. 5 Nature’s Classroom Trip (Sept., 2018): Please remember the deposit of $ 60.00 is due Wednesday, Feb. 21. Make checks to Derby Elementary School, no cash can be accepted.
Gr. 6 Nature’s Classroom Trip (May 21-23,2018): Please remember the deposit of $ 40.00 is due Wednesday, Feb. 21. Make checks to Derby Elementary School, no cash can be accepted.
Encore After School Program: Registration is due next week for our March and April sessions.
Happy Valentine’s Week! Here is some information about what is happening in the next few weeks:
Coins for a Cause: Feb. 14 – 21, 2018: We are looking to support a Derby family in need, and have some fun and learn as we do it!
Encore After School Program: Attached is the March and April brochure! Registration is due February 23, 2018.
Mid-Winter Break: Please remember there is no school February 26 – March 6, 2018.
Town Meeting: Monday, March 5, 2018 at 7pm at DES. Vote by Australian ballot on Tuesday, March 6, 2018.
The Last Day of School K-6 has changed to Friday, June 15. The Last Day of School PreK has has changed to Friday, June 8, 2018. Please adjust
February 6, 2018
It sounds like we may be in for some serious weather and snow tomorrow during the day, and travel may be difficult. (If the weather service is correct!) Be sure to stay tuned for any calls or emails about school cancellations, delays or early releases…….We will also post any announcements on our website and Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/destigersvt/
Please remember that there is NO SCHOOL for children on Friday, February 9, 2018. Our staff will be involved in professional learning activities at North Country Supervisory Union.
January 30, 2018
Money for the next Gr. 4-6 Winter Activity Day is due Thursday, February 1, 2018. Our next Winter Activity Day is Monday, February 5, 2018.
Attached is information regarding NCSU’s Annual Flannel Friday on February 2, 2018. We’d love to have everyone wear flannel and if you can, make a contribution.
As I am sure you have seen in the news, the flu has struck in a devastating way in families and schools across the country. Attached is information from NCSU’s School Nurse Leader about steps you can take.
Attached is our February newsletter with important dates and reminders and information about the Collector’s Fair.
January 23, 2018
Believe it or not, this is our first full week of school since December 18! Let’s make it a great one!
We have some exciting events coming up this week:
Wednesday, January 24, 2018:
1. Need Gas? Fuel Up for Our School @ Derby Line Irving @ 3 – 8pm: Fuel up at any pump! (see attachment to win gas card)
2. Band and Chorus Concert @ 6:30 pm in the gym.
3. Nature’s Classroom Gr. 6 Parent Meeting @5:45pm in the gym, prior to concert (letter attached).
Our long time Administrative Assistant, Marguerite Cross is retiring as of Jan. 31, 2018. We are so grateful for all of her expertise and caring in helping Derby Elementary run smoothly. While we will miss Marguerite dearly, we welcome Laura Fernandes, who will be working alongside her this week and next in preparation to take over full time on February 1, 2018.
January 16, 2018
How about that SUNSHINE?!?! Enjoy!
Here are some upcoming events for our school:
Thursday, January 18: Gr. 4-6: $ due for next Winter Activity Day; sign up for DES’s bag lunch if wanted
Friday, January 19: TIGER Friendship Assembly @ 9:20 am
Monday, January 22: Gr. 4-6 Winter Activity Day
Wednesday, January 24: Fuel Up for Our School Night at the Derby Line Irving: 3-8pm (see below for prize)
Band and Chorus Concert @ 6:30 pm
January 4, 2018
Dear Fifth Grade Parents/Guardians,
Due to weather and safety concerns, our parent meeting about the Nature’s Classroom overnight program that was scheduled for tonight will be cancelled. We will reschedule the meeting for Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 6:30 pm in the gym.
Stay safe and warm!
December 20, 2017
Well, I’m not sure if we are winding up or winding down, but for sure we are counting down! Winter Break is on it’s way!
In the mean time, we continue to enjoy the special days designed by our Student Council, which can be seen at this link. https://www.smore.com/4vnp7
Encore Registration attached for the after school session beginning January 8, 2018.
5th grade parents: Attached is another copy of a letter sent last week about a meeting for a special program Mr. A. and the 6th grade teachers are starting in 2018-19, called Nature’s Classroom.
iRobot STEM presentation, Wednesday, December 27 at 1:00 p.m. at the Dailey Library in Derby See: www.irobot.com/About-iRobot/STEM.aspx Seth Major is a hardware engineer who works for iRobot. He and his team design the electronic components of iRobot's products, right now the Roomba. Seth grew up in Derby and went through our local school system.
Don't forget, we are back to school on January 2, 2018!
December 11, 2017
Looks like we are in for some weather this week! Please make sure your child has clothing for outdoor recess.
Just in case: This is also a good time to remind everyone about school closings or delays. We send closing and delay information through School Messenger by phone and email. Local news stations should also have the information, as well as our Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/destigersvt/
Thursday, December 14th – Gr. 4-6 - Money is due for Winter Activity Day: skiing, snowboarding, or skating/Nordic skiing. Be sure to sign up for bag lunch if needed!
Monday, December 18th – Gr. 4-6 Winter Activity Day. Please come dressed to be outside all day!
Holiday Fun Days are coming next week, sponsored by our Student Council! https://www.smore.comnp7/4v
December 5, 2017
Don’t Forget About our Concert Tomorrow!
Our Holiday Luncheon for Senior Citizens is tomorrow at 12:45 pm. Our Student Council will be serving. Some of the children will be performing for our seniors, and this is a great way for us to thank the seniors for their support of our school. PreK children and Kindergarteners will be attending the performance as audience members, so they can begin to see what school performances look and sound like.
All children in grades 1-6 have a music concert for families tomorrow evening , Wednesday, December 6, 2017!
Want an easy, close parking space? Follow the arrival instructions!
Children should wear white and black in any combination with a pop of color. (scarf, tie, headband, etc…)
Children should arrive 10 minutes before the concert time and report to their classroom, or the class that they will be standing with.*
These are our concert groups:
Group A @ 5:30pm: Classes of Mrs. Sicotte, Mrs. Gentler, Mrs. Davis, Ms. Willard, Mrs. Cheney, Mrs. Scott
Group B @ 6:30pm: Classes of Mr. Vachon, Mrs. Beaudry, Mrs. Batista, Ms. Lucas, Mrs. Higgins, Mrs. Handley
Group C @ 7:30pm: Classes of Mrs. Cargill, Mrs. Green, Mrs. Nadeau, Ms. Sbarra, Mrs. McKenny, Mrs. Breault, Mrs. Coburn
*If you have multiple children, they can all perform at the same time by being added to classes listed at that time. Just let Ms. Chambers know!